Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Presentation and those that followed

Of late procrastination has taken a complete toll over me.I've been meaning to get this post out since like a month but well, :D .

I love working with MS Powerpoint (2003,7 bring it on)and making all those presentations.To others they might do it when need arises but I look for opportunities to work with MS PP .

My First presentation was for a competition .The topic was Dances of India and out of the regular aarva-kolaru my friend and I signed up for it without having a single clue as to how a presentation looks like.After a quick tutorial from one of my cousins,the pres was ready.(Yeah I did win a prize and no I am not disclosing which one) ;)
The second one I made was for my cousin about the solar system.I'd worked really hard on it for like 3 nights continuously.It did turn out to be a hit among all the KG kids whose jaws dropped when they saw the moon come out of the water :P
From then on I'd made presentations only for technical computer science paper presentation related stuff.

However the two most useful presentations I have ever been involved with were for two friends-Bala Sundaram and Nitesh Varma.In the former's case it was all ready and I just had to tweak it here and there.It was about a village adoption project.

The presentation that I wanted to write about is the latter one.It was about the sexual harassment of women at workplaces and outside.I started off by making just a couple of pie charts and very soon got to do some background research to get some idea on the subject.

I have always been a feminist and I am proud of that.I don't like people telling me that I am not supposed to do something just because I am a woman.When I saw all those cases of mental torture and unfair judgements it really got me thinking.Are we all actually offered the importance as hyped or touted?

A bill.A reservation of 33% in otherwise a male dominated society has been opposed for nearly 14 years before it has finally been passed.If it were this difficult to merely pass a bill then how difficult would it be for us to secure other rights?
But then again will woman representatives actually come-forward?or get lost somewhere in some brilliantly played political-chess?

Even today a woman is looked down upon with scorn if she leaves her husband.But is the case vice-versa?Nah-ah...If a man leaves his wife then something is wrong with her.Why should the woman bear the brunt of the society on her shoulders alone?

A woman child is considered a burden and killed off before it could see the light of the day.Have these people ever done it to a male child?If yes,let me see that.Yeah my words are oozing with contempt and scorn but the fact that all these are still prevalent makes me sneer even more.

Yeah getting back to the harassment part.In most of the case studies that I came across the woman had refused to surrender to the will of the superior male officer and hence she has been wrongfully terminated or psychologically tortured.We have so many Anjali Guptas and Bhanwari Devis who have not yet spoken out aloud due to the fear of facing the society's wrath.

Who makes up the society after all?Is it not you and me?Is it wrong to ask for a bit of compassion,empathy and humanity?Are we that lost in the materialistic world that we have forgotten the very basic purpose of our existence?

Eve and Adam together complete mankind.

Any appeal that I make now is going to be one among the millions and billions lost in thin air but nevertheless,Guys just stop for one second and close your eyes.Think.If the same were to happen to your kith and kin wouldn't you want to bash the rogue who caused it?So why do you want to become such a rogue who another family wants to bash up?

Those who set a bad example need to be punished,then and there.Not tried for 10 years and then acquitted.
We either need stricter laws or people with more conscience and morals.Until one of these two happens these cases will do continue.


Remember for every woman you destroy,you are destroying a family.


"Like me, you could be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can’t unsee it. And once you’ve seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing, becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you’re accountable.”
-Arundhati roy


P.S-Thanks Nitesh!

Until the next one,
Gaya.:)


2 comments:

  1. two thumbs up... every word is etched with the basic emotion - human, its time we feel and sense human. u seemed feminist in d lines, agreed in rit way... but if v speaking of harassment, lets not be biased towards fairer sex, as some times, they are the accused ones and men are victim. wel al v can do at the end of day is to bring change in us and den tel ppl to change !! thank yu gayatri for bringing out the point. wish it had some more comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nitesh-True!I actually had no idea whatsoever about all this until that presentation happened.And yeah men too are accused wrongly sometimes.I am not denying that.But the number differ by thousands actually.Only if people themselves want to change,can change really be brought about.And yes I too wish it had more comments.But as I noticed only the masala posts get a lot of comments :(

    ReplyDelete